Thursday, October 14, 2010

the deafening silence - a moment of contemplation

Its a thursday night, but it is uncharacteristically quiet. A dead silence seems to blanket the whole atmosphere. I suspect it's because many people have IHUM papers due tomorrow and possibly midterms? Or maybe I'm missing some really exciting party that the whole campus is attending.

But then again, what constitutes missing out? For everything we do there is surely an opportunity cost. Today I am pretty content to stay in my room and just mull over the intricacies of life, over my priorities and over my IHUM essay (that is fortunately due on Tuesday).

I decided to look back at some of my reflections done during my UGPMET course. Growth, Influencing Others, Meaningful Work. To what extent am I subscribing to the values I purport to hold dear? I may be a poor judge in answering this question -- all I can say is that I find it very interesting that I've sequenced them as such.

Stanford has been extremely intellectually stimulating. I was commenting that the environment in which one learns cannot be more conducive. Lessons are taught with much enthusiasm, there is great clarity in the knowledge being transferred, class participation is motivates you to participate as well. Office hours are on offer when you need help. There is little more you can ask for to help you grow.

As an alien (an affectionate term my Singaporean friend has decided to use for strangers in a foreign land), I must say I am acutely aware of the subtle differences in our social interactions.

"Hey, how're you doing?"
"Good, how about you?"
"Good"
Replaces the familiar.
"Hey!"
"Hey!"
As we pass by along the corridors.

We talk and its usually about random things. But it's been interesting to find out about things I've been unfamiliar with, their slang, their education system, their 'culture', their political system. I feel like I should step out of my room more than I currently am doing. But I guess I shall be satisfied with slowly learning the ropes and adapting to the social culture of America. At the same time coping with my 'growth'. I will learn how to make deep conversations with the people around me, find out their opinions on whatever tickles my fancy, agree or disagree, find firm friends, enjoy myself.

Influencing others, who and how?
Meaningful work, what and why?

The answers can be very apparent and obvious, but it could also be open to change. I will continually contemplate these questions in my 4 years.

My dad used to say he sought his contentment from deriving knowledge found in books. I think I'm starting to understand what he means. If there is one thing we know for certain, it is that knowledge we mastered is ours to keep and not subject to the exigencies of life.

Ironic. My essay I am now going to write so starts:
Knowledge is power.



1 comment:

  1. have you ever wondered why silence had to be deafening and not placating or calm-inspiring etc etc, but you do get my drift, right?

    ReplyDelete